Sunday, July 17, 2011

Assistive Technology

Assistive technology is very important in the classroom for children with special needs.  This type of techology can be used to cater to the needs of children so that they are better able to strive in classroom environments.  It makes things possible for children with special needs that may not be possible on their own.  Assistive technology helps these children become more independent and active learners.  I think this enhances their educational experience.
In the past, during my internship my senior year of college, I worked in an inclusive preschool.  I had the opportunity to observe certain types of assistive technology being used.  I watched as a teacher used a special microphone system in the classroom for a child with a hearing impairment.  I also saw the use of a communication board on a child that could not communicate verbally.  This gave her the opportunity to make choices and be easily understood by her peers and teachers.
In the future, I will use assistive technology in my classrooms for children with special needs.  Staff development opportunities, research, and collaboration with others early childhood professionals would be vital in learning the best ways to use different methods in the classroom.  It will be important for me to get to know my students to best fit them with what works best for them.  I also think that teaching typical developing children in the classroom (if any) how to use these devices will help in building a school community of children that are helpful to others and sensitive to the needs of their peers.
I think it is necessary for both teachers and parents to be familiar with different types of assistive technology that will be interacting with children with special needs.  By collaborating we will be able to better implement the best interest of the child.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that assistive tecnhology helps children become more independent. In areas that children are not as fast as typically developing children, I believe assistive technology can truely help that child feel more included and independent.

    ReplyDelete